Montour County Genealogical Society
“Helping families research their family history
in the Montour County & Riverside area”
The Montour County Genealogical Society (MCGS) was formed in September 1999 and is a group of volunteers dedicated to the collection and preservation of information about families, past and present, of Montour County and to help its families obtain the information they need to document their family heritage. Our membership is open to anyone with an interest in genealogy.
The Genealogical Society is located on the second floor of the Library but MCGS maintains its own hours. Some Resources Available at Montour County Genealogical Society :
- Surname files (Containing names of Montour County families)
- Obituary Files (hard copy in files for your research)
- Church Records (includes marriages, baptisms, deaths and more of many Montour Co. Churches)
- Several Pennsylvania counties history books
- Newsletters from other Pennsylvania counties Genealogical & Historical Societies
- Montour County families histories
- Picture file (pictures of Montour County families, historic buildings & surrounding areas)
- Please note: These files are not complete, we are always adding more resources. Research fees for non-members is $2.00/hr. Come and visit the MCGS, you will be pleased with all the resources we have for researching Montour County Families.
Montour County Facts
- In 1772, Northumberland County was formed and from Northumberland County came Columbia County.
- On May 3, 1850, Montour County was established from the western part of Columbia County. At 131 square miles, it is the smallest county in the Commonwealth.
- Danville was a large iron manufacturing center during the 19th century. On October 8, 1845, the first T-rail was rolled in Danville.
- Christopher Sholes, inventor of the typewriter was a resident of Montour County, as was Joseph Parry, a renowned hymn writer.
We are located on the second floor of the library.
205 Ferry Street
Danville, PA 17821
Phone : 570-275-6177
Email : email@example.com
Hours of Operation
Monday: 1 pm – 5 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 1:30 pm
or by appointment